Stained Kitchen Worktop Staining/Oiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Next job on the DIY list is to attempt to revive and protect our wooden kitchen worktop which is in a bit of a state. I'm not sure it's ever had a protective coat on it (we only move din 18 months ago) so it's quite badly marked in places. I've included some photos below which show the various black marks and water marks around the sink.

Fisrt job is to sand it back as best we can to remove the top surface, fill any cracks with wood filler then we're proposing to either stain and oil or use a darker oil that will hopefully do both of those jobs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for appropriate products/stains/oils to do this? I've had Danish or Tung oil suggested as options, would these be suitable?

We have a fairly light solid oak floor (you can see it in one of the pics below) so don't want to go too dark but at the same time the darker the stain/oil the better the marks will be disguised.

Any material/technique suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have re-posted this in the wood, woodwork and carpentry forum as probably more relevant. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back