Uneven stain on kitchen worktop using Osmo Top OIl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around 18 months ago I used Osmo Top Oil (couple of layers of Acacia colour to give a lovely deep honey coloured stain, then a layer of clear matt for additional protection) on the solid oak kitchen worktop. Due to standing water near the sink an area had started to become blackened, so I sanded down to bare wood (40/70), reapplied a layer of Acacia Top Oil, lightly sanded using 100g, and applied a second layer of Acacia Top Oil. I repeated with a third layer.

Neither I nor She Who Must Be Satisfied are satisfied with the result. Nothing will persuade the top oil to penetrate enough to give a colour match. I'm not entirely persuaded that the issue is that the oil has lost its colour (whilst it's over a year old, the bottle was almost full, and I did manage to get a perfect colour match on another worktop for a spot repair). Can anyone advise me what I need to do to improve? I don't especially want to have to sand down the entire worktop as it will be super dusty and leave the kitchen out of use for days, though if I have to so be it, and I'd get a brand new bottle of Osmo Oil if I did.

1654074372771.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back