What sealant (silicone?) between Osmo-oiled oak worktop and upstand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per question. Project to keep the wife happy over the New Year is to strip the existing oak kitchen worktops and oak upstands of the horrid Danish oil (the stuff that has to be reapplied every few weeks and lasts a week before going black again) and treating properly with Osmo top oil like it was supposed to have been in the fist place if the carpenter who fitted them had listened to me....

Anyway, I've sanded everything back to bare wood and coated with Osmo oil and it looks the business. But there is a gap of between 1 and 5mm between the oak worktop and the oak upstand that needs re-sealing. I removed as much of the old silicone as I could (using a combination of meths and a sharp blade, though couldn't get every last bit of the dregs out). The general consensus seems to be that it's better to Osmo oil first then silicone rather than other way round, but there opinion is divided as some brands of silicone doesn't seem to stick to Osmo oil and others do. I've also seen mentioned other products like plumbers gold and sanitary sealant. Basically I just want something that's either clear or medium brown colour that will stick to the oiled worktop and seal. As part of the upstand is behind the sink it's crucial that I get a watertight finish.

What type or brand of sealant would you recommend and what experience have you of it?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest Dow Corning neutral curing ( brown) silicone. Their website has numerous types. Never used it on a painted? surface, but the brand is the best.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back