varnish or oil window architrave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of replacing the victorian architrave around my windows. The wood i'm doing it with is pine i assume.

I want to leave the sill and the architraves natural but not sure how to finish them. I've used tung oil on wood before but it turned my oak bureau a bit orangey so I'm a bit wary of using it on pine. I don't want a gloss finish really, and again am worried about varnish turning the wood orangey. I don't want to stain them darker either. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to know what wood your using to determine the final oiled finish but your going to struggle if you don't want it any darker, even water will achieve that.Boiled linseed oil is'nt too vicious for darkening but it depends what your using?

Thanks for your reply. I think it's pine. Bog standard bought from Travis Perkins. I don't mind a bit darker as I know it will darken with age anyway, but it's the orangey look I want to avoid.

Sponsored Links
Modern pine always goes that orange colour. Either paint it or use reclaimed pine. That natural look is out of fashion anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back