Trying to match the existing finish to the wood in my house... what sort of varnish is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just sanded down the skirting/architrave etc in one of my rooms, and I'm now trying to re-varnish them to match the woodwork in the rest of the house. I thought it was all just clear varnish, but, having tried an initial couple of coats of Rustins clear satin, the colour of the varnished wood is unchanged(!). I had presumed that it would bring out the grain a bit more and give it an orangey/brown finish in the same way as when you wipe the unfinished skirting down with white spirit, for example.

I've attached a picture of an off-cut of unfinished skirting adjacent to some skirting elsewhere in the house.

What product do I need to match the finish?

Attachments

• PXL_20231119_085512001.jpg
    PXL_20231119_085512001.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
give it clear water based varnish and live with it till its tones down to match
if you tone it to match now it will get darker in two or three years and be natures suntan on top off staining

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back