Kitchen Worktop Fixed to Masonry Wall as Desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a 3m length of 600mm x 38mm kitchen worktop to use as a desk. The length of the wall is approx 2000mm which is open at one end and butts up to a wall at the other where it returns approx 1000mm and will then butt up to a chimney breast.

I could do with some advice on the following;

1. How best to fix it to the wall to give it the best strength to cope with the unlikely event of someone sitting or standing on it?

2. As the worktop returns, how best could I fix the joint to give a smooth finish? Mason mitre?

3. As one end is open I have considered buying another shorter piece of worktop to use as an end piece to finish it off, will this need to be fixed to the floor? We have laminate.

Any help would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bit late now but a 8X4 veneered sheet would have given a much nicer finish in one sheet with off-cut to form upright.
A simple timber baton around wall will give enough support.
A chrome leg is another option for the end of return. Neither option requires floor fixing.Standard kitchen mitre wastes least worktop.

You can buy an aluminium joining piece from Ikea but by far the best is to hire a router use biscuit joints and bolts.
When you hire the router you will also get a jig.
Providing you are reasonably good at Diy and carefull it should not be a problem to make a really professional job.
No doubt there will be a video on Utube
http://www.raygirling.com/wtjig.htm

Sponsored Links
I understand using a timber batten around the perimter, but will the legs provide adequate support?

Bit late now but a 8X4 veneered sheet would have given a much nicer finish in one sheet with off-cut to form upright.
A simple timber baton around wall will give enough support.
A chrome leg is another option for the end of return. Neither option requires floor fixing.Standard kitchen mitre wastes least worktop.

Would there be any requirement for some intermediate support?

e.g at the return or mid way down the wall?

You would definitely want legs for support.
Especially as someone may stand or sit on the worktop.
As previous post said no floor fixing is required and these legs come adjustable and in an attractive chrome finish to add style to your desk.
Even if no-one stands on it you want it to be solid. By using legs for support you can invite a fat friend to sit on it while you offer him a coffee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back