kitchen worktopjoints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to fit those expensive blocky wooden worktops in my kitchen along with an underslung Butler sink. (well thats what the lady wants)

I understand that I have to coat the wood with at least 6 coats of oil, which leads me on to the question(s)

1 When joining 2 pieces of worktop together, how do you seal the joint (for hygeine reasons) with any form of sealant when the ends/sides of the wood are smothered in oil?

2 Even with the ceramic Butler sink close up under the worktop, which of course will have a cutout in it, how can I seal the top edge of the sink to the worktop underside to prevent water splashes running down the outside of the sink into the cupboard space below?

Any advice would be welcome thank you.

Sponsored Links
not stumped, not sure why no response..

1) i use a very small amount of this in the joint instead of silicone or glue before clamping up the joint. it doesn't interfere with everything like silicone. unibond do one as well make sure it says "paintable".

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1271808172927&isSearch=true

Then sand the joint, then oil. if you've already oiled then a wipe with white spirit would help.

2) use same product, but your main line of defence will be to allow an overhang and rout / circular saw cut a drip groove on the underside.

count on applying lots of oil at regular intervals adjacent to sink. the end grain and glue joints are very vulnerable to water ingress.

Thank you for your reply - havent visited the site for a while and appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to put a few coats of oil on the underside of the worktop before it's fitted

Thank you,

I understand about the drip groove, but what I was concerned about was water splashed upwards from washing activity, hitting the top edge of the sink and running down the outside of the sink into the cupboard space.

Would expanding foam (aerosol) work? [/u]

Thank you,

I understand about the drip groove, but what I was concerned about was water splashed upwards from washing activity, hitting the top edge of the sink and running down the outside of the sink into the cupboard space.

Would expanding foam (aerosol) work? [/u]

Use white bathroom sealant. Squirt a 3-4 mm bead into corner where sink top meets underside of worktop, and smooth with a wet finger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back