Knocking from heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating system is making knocking noises, in sets of 6-12 knocks where they may start at a slow pace then speed up or start fast then slow down.

It can only really be heard upstairs (and quite loudly too), and cuts out as soon as the thermostat switches the boiler off only to start again when the boiler restarts.

Is this likely to be down to expansion/contraction in the pipes, or a problem with the pump or boiler? It\\\'s definitely been getting steadily worse over the last few months.

Cheers for any help!

Sponsored Links
[quote="dodalexand knocking noises, in sets of 6-12 knocks where they may start at a slow pace then speed up or start fast then slow down.

It can only really be heard upstairs (and quite loudly too),It\\\'s definitely been getting steadily worse over the last few months.

Have you seen your missis lately you havent locked her in the attic by mistake have you, easily done did it myself over christmas i thought she had left me.

dodalexander said:
She's the one cursing the noise and cursing me for not fixing it yet!

if i where you i would chck the expansion vessil in attic see if the ballvalve
as stuck and run dry

Sponsored Links
Since when did expansion vessels have ballvalves. (COCK) is it after the heatings been on for a while. could it be a knocking trv

bab said:
Since when did expansion vessels have ballvalves. (COCK) is it after the heatings been on for a while. could it be a knocking trv

mmmmmmyou learn something everyday.........
but it also could be pipes banging under floor boards (COCK)
Its best to narrow it down if it where a trv im sure he would have noticed that so obvious idea. i bet the system has run dry, ish
but trv naaaaaaaaaa to obvios (cock).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back