Knocking noise when CH fires up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Everytime the CH fires up, there is a really loud knocking noise from the radiator in our room. I'm sure it is not the rad itself as I know noise can travel. It starts off quiet then gets louder, stops for a bit and the does it again. This happens for about 2 mins and everytime the thermostat clicks on for heat. This never happened this much since I had a new boiler fitted. Could it be because the new boiler is more poweful and it could be the pipes knocking? Don't really fancy having the carpet up and floorboards. Any other ideas?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi could be a trv if fitted to the radiator, if so try turning it off and then turn the heating on? Either that or could be travel from another part of the system! What type of boiler is it?? Combi, conventional? If conventional could be the port valve?

Hi, thanks for replying.
It is a system boiler. Have tried the TRV already and still happens. When I turn the end valve off though, the noise does stop. Could the new boiler be more efficient hence more powerful?
Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Possibly due to the new boiler getting the heat round faster. The noise you hear is the metal expanding as it heats up, if its happening faster than previously then this could account for the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back