knocking noise when toilet fills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 3 bathrooms and have a problem with only 1 toilet. when the water fills back up after flushing it makes a big knocking noise as the water shuts off...HELP!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
You need to fit a new ballvalve or the cheaper option buy a re-washering kit for it. And give it a good clean,that should solve your problem.

Regards John

I have one of the newer "all-in one" type of mechanisims but the noise still happens after I turn the water off and then back on again?

You say the noise is there when you turn the water off then back on where are you turning it off from a service valve on the feed to the cistern? or the main stopcock?

Regards john

Sponsored Links
john,
you had suggested me getting a new ballvalve for my toilet so i just went to home depot and i didn't see anything that said ballvalve on it so i asked someone and they said they didn't know....what does this ballvalve look like????????

Linda

Linda
How old is the toilet? you would be better off going to a plumbers merchant as there knowledge is a great deal better than diy shops. One other thing is there a service valve on the water supply pipe to the toilet cistern? if there is try slowing the flow down a bit (you may need a screwdriver) as it is the action of the ballvalve closing suddenly which sends the noise echoing through the pipe.
To see what the ballvalve looks like take the lid off the top of the cistern and where the water pipe enters the cistern is where you'll find the ballvalve.If I can be of any more help let me know. John

Slowing the flow is a good idea, but sometimes may cause hissing noise from the pipe when the cistern fills. Alternatively, try an "equilibrium ball valve" (these shut the water off smoothly and prevent water hammer). Or a cheaper alternative, is to hang something like an empty yoghurt carton from the arm (the arm with the float on the end)using a short length of string or wire. The carton will fill with water, weighing the arm down so that when it rises, it rises slowly and prevents the water hammer. In theory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back