toilet flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I had a new toilet (with push button flush) fitted 2 years ago in my upstairs on-suite bedroom. Recently something very strange happened.

Sometimes suddenly I can hear the noise of water filling up the toilet cistern without anyone flushing. Later I found out after flushing the toilet, the water will fill up and stop as usual. But somehow after 30 or 40 minutes water will start filling up again for a few seconds, hence this sudden noise (the noise is quite big). There is no visible water leaking in the bowl. It looks like the valve shuts off after the initial filling up to a certain water level following a flush, and then after some time it opens again. Strange! Anyone knows what happened there? thanks!

Sponsored Links
A flush valve that doesn't seal properly can let a minute, almost undetectable dribble of water run down the back of the pan.

Setting the water level too close to the overflow can have the same effect

An external leak where the flush valve or a bottom entry fill valve is mounted in the cistern can also do the same.

In that situation traditional float valves would wheeze and hiss constantly, admitting a slow dribble of water, but equilibrium valves wait for the water level to drop further, then open fully for a few seconds.

Put a bottle of food colouring into the cistern, then you will be able to see the water down the rear of the bowel.

Andy

you will be able to see the water down the rear of the bowel.

Andy
Bowel :eek: you are obsessed with bowels and their products - I know it`s lucrative for you but you must exercise restraint ;) Try and think of fat in your drains instead

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back