knocking pipes & water meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just recently re routed pipes in kitchen to new sink, moved & renewed stop cock and other feeds etc feeds to kitchen 800mm sink unit for ease of access. all goes well until decision now to fit water meter. where does it normally get fitted - not much room left after stop valve before first 't' that feeds combi bolier. i dont want to commit to final fit of kitchen if im going to have to rip it all out again.
ive heard water meters can be fitted on the main stop valve in the street. is this correct.
secondly, annoying very loud knocking sound whenever we flush loo but noise is no where near it but cannot pin point it. loo is directly above kitchen and pipe runs to it from there. pressure maybe???

Sponsored Links
An internal water meter would always be fitted straight after the stopcock, and before the drainoff point, which should be immediately after it and before any other connections.

Yes, water meters can be fitted in the street, contact your water supplier and they will arrange this for you.

Does it just bump once when the float valve shuts off? Could be badly-clipped pipes, which isn't easy to sort. You could fit a water shock arrestor, which is a small expansion vessel that takes the shock and stops the bump

thanks muggles. i am really trying to deal with this without having to move the stop cock back to where it was in the corner of the room where access is restricted. i had not realised a drain valve was also required on the domestic plumbing as opposed to the one i have on the central heating. can i 't' into that or should i run a separate drain off?. as my space is very limited, it looks like its back to the corner and tap into the feed line for meter and drain valve before further connections.
i'll give water co a ring re meter siting & will reassess pipe noise.
i was quite pleased with my pipework - and not a single leak when i had done it. i'll enclose a picture with next reply.

Your stopcock should be sited 6" above where your main rises out of the floor, with no joints before it. Yes, you can tee the drainoff in, as I said it should be immediately after the stopcock and the water meter if there's one fitted. If you take your supply off the stopcock/water meter and drop it immediately down to a lower level then put the drainoff at the lowest point. There should be one at the lowest point on the hot side as well.

Beware posting pictures...you leave yoruself open to the pros on here picking holes in it, and I'm sure some will!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back