knocking through a wall - rsj required or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
I am looking to knock through a wall in my kitchen to open it up into my back living room, now the wall in question is only 1 brick thick, I know this as I drilled through it and was surprised it went through so quick..anyway, am I right in thinking that cos the wall is only 1 brick thick its not a retaining wall and would also not need an rsj of any kind..?

all advice appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
Well firstly this sounds like an internal wall so its unlikely to be a retaining wall, we'll assume you mean structural?

To make a hole in any masonry wall brick or block will need a lintel or steel of some description or do you expect Divine Intervention to hold up the masonry above the opening you intend to create? You will need to investigate what if anything is being supported above ceiling level by this wall ie floor joists or another wall or both.

We have just removed a single brick supporting wall which was supporting the wall above and the roof and installed an rsj. So single brick can be structural

Sponsored Links
For you to even have to ask if it needs an rsj tells me you should not attempt a job like this. Brick walls are there for a reason, they hold the house up. Anyway good luck.

If in any doubt get a structural engineer to look at the wall and clarify if its load bearing.. they can also design/detail any lintel or steel required if nes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back