Knotting Fluid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just had all the skirting boards replaced in a room and my joiner used some nice thick untreated CLS Wood to do it

A friend has suggested I treat each indidividual knot with knotting fluid-my joiner thinks it isn't necessary and I should just prime the entire length and then paint it

Is knotting fluid strictly necessary???

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Is knotting fluid strictly necessary???

The resin in the knots causes a yellow stain. This stain will bleed through any paint. Shellac knotting solution will form a shield, not always a good base for paint so use sparingly. wipe over the knots with meth's then two coats of knotting. If you skip the knotting the bleed will show up whithin 6 months.. When you'll say oh ****e.......can i put knotting ontop of paint...............lol

Absolutley right ! you will end up with yellow rings showing through the gloss wherever a knot was. No disrespect to the joiners but we know our trade and they know theirs.

Sponsored Links
[quote="confidentincompetent";p="703278
When you'll say oh s***te.......can i put knotting ontop of paint...............lol[/quote]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So very true lol

Its looks lovely for five mins, then when it starts bleeding thru it looks awful, wheras if you spend 5 mins knotting, it will save you a load of grief in the future. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back