Knotting Solution and then painting skirtings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had all the skirting boards in a room replaced with untreated CLS

I have picked up a tin of knotting solution today and intend to treat the knots before painting the wood

I have 2 questions (daft as they are)

1.The knotting job will take me 15 mins I reckon. It may then well be several weeks before I get round to then painting the boards. Will this matter if I treat the knots this far in advance or should I wait and treat and then paint in closer succession ???

2. What is the best paint for doing skirting boards-I will probably be doing them in white-is gloss or matt better for example?? Will it need primed? If so what with and how many coats??

Thanks a million for your help and tolerance of my stupidity

Sponsored Links
I am also wondering what the best stuff is to seal a couple of wee gaps between the skirting board and walls ??

It shouldnt make any difference how long in advance you use the knotting. If the timber is raw then it will need a coat of oil based primer then when dry a good rub down as the the primer will raise the grain and harden it. Ideally then coat with two coats of good white undercoat gently sanding between coats and finally one or two top coats of your chosen finish. Dont use one coat paint, goes on like treacle. To seal between skirting and wall its best to use decorators "caulking" in tubes. Smooth ot off with your finger and then a damp cloth. Dont let it dry if not smoothed as you cant sand it after.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back