Knotweed

It can grow very deep apparently.

Get ur mining hat on buddy! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
If you do not get rid of Japanese Knotweed and allow it to spread into the wild you are legally liable for prosecution. So after you've tried and failed to dig it out, you'll have to dig deep into your pocket, too.:mrgreen:

It can grow very deep apparently.
Did the treatment company tell you so? How deep did they say?

The internet says the following. I was right even though I never seen a knotweed.

What kills Japanese knotweed permanently?

Physical Removal - Excavation and removal of the underground root and rhizome system, ensuring Japanese knotweed is gone, and gone for good. Herbicide Treatment - Is a control method, as while herbicide can kill immature plants, it's less effective on mature rhizomes, often causing dormancy rather than death.

Last edited:
Did the treatment company tell you so? How deep did they say?

The internet says the following. I was right even though I never seen a knotweed.

What kills Japanese knotweed permanently?

Physical Removal - Excavation and removal of the underground root and rhizome system, ensuring Japanese knotweed is gone, and gone for good. Herbicide Treatment - Is a control method, as while herbicide can kill immature plants, it's less effective on mature rhizomes, often causing dormancy rather than death.

Weedkiller control​

It usually takes at least three to four seasons to eradicate Japanese knotweed using weedkiller. Professional contractors, however, will have access to more powerful weedkiller that may reduce this period by half.

Sponsored Links
It usually takes at least three to four seasons to eradicate Japanese knotweed using weedkiller. Professional contractors, however, will have access to more powerful weedkiller that may reduce this period by half.
What is the reason the "professional contractors" were not able to remove the weed for the previous owner?

They werent employed! Lol
OK, it seems people unemployed is not at risk of prosecution for a run away weed. It makes sense for unemployed people to dig the knotweed up. It gives them something to do and increase the house value.

If it were me, i would be looking to get the strongest weed killer on the market and smother the knotweed with it!
This is a bad approach. I've been working on it for about 5 years now, and with good success. Smothering it can cause it to go dormant at rhizome level, only to come up again. When I started, I had 'rhizome clumps' 2 feet across, with the weed standing 6-8 foot tall. They had to be dug out eventually. You need to spray spring and autumn, and be disciplined!. Now I deal with smaller amounts of very new growth. First it's a red 'thumb' poking up, then grows to 2 distinct leaves. That's the time to spray, and just leave it. When it has a 'burned' look, I pick it out individually. I put it on DPM and let it dry to nothing.

I use Roseate*, and at the concentration given not 'double' strength for a bit extra!

*It's a glysophate- like Roundup on steroids. Agricultural suppliers might have supplies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back