Boundary dispute of rear garden fence

10 years with total exclusivity to all others during that period.
But you have to claim the land through the court. I don't think you can just claim it unless you have proof, (such as dated photographs?), that you have been using it at or before the required date to prove 10 years. I.E. if you have photo's dated 11 years ago then you have proof.

Sponsored Links
This explains the process - https://www.myerson.co.uk/news-insights-and-events/a-guide-to-adverse-possession

My claim was prior to the change in 2003 (around 1995), was opposed, but I won based upon my fencing the land in 15 years before and building upon it.

It is on some ways easier to prove / disprove a claim, using GoogleEarth' photos. We have 10 GE photos, before the present one, going back to the first in 1985.

Last edited:
I don't think you can just claim it unless you have proof, (such as dated photographs?)

Photos are good, but don't dismiss google earth, which has a history feature (basically all the previous satellite passes are there to view by date) that can show line features; or even your trampoline on the disputed land, for example.

EDIT: Top tip, CG, read the previous posts!

Sponsored Links
During conveyancing the solicitor will ask; "are the boundaries as shown on the title deeds?". As someone else has said, this should have been raised at the conveyancing stage. I think it's a case now of "too bad!".

No-one wants a dispute recorded against them. I suggest a friendly letter to the neighbour stating that you've sought legal advice and that boundary remains due to the above and historic reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back