Rear Garden Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys.

Going into my house from the front, the left hand boundary fence is my neighbour's, including the garden fence as well. His fence is of the chain link type. That encroaches on my privacy.

I have considered putting up a wooden fence to the maximum allowed height of 2 metres.

It would run the full length alongside his existing chain link fence. Don't see anything wrong, but I always like a second opinion.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Tell him of your plans, he may be pleased if you're picking up the tab and remove the chain link (horrible things!).
If he doesn't want to get rid of the chain link, there's nothing to stop you putting up a fence on your side.

He may even offer to go halves for the cost but don't hold your breath on that one.

Communication goes a long way. You will probably be pleasantly surprised and find he really wants a fence also.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your help.

Only problem, won't be able to speak to him. Easily the most ignorant person I ever came across. Wrote him a simple 'letter of explanation' recently. The neighbours could hear him screaming/shouting from the furthest ends of the street. I merely asked him why shouting.

Once the fence is going up, you might be able to hear him.

I want to use pressure treated fencing (durability) and concrete posts. As it will be adjacent to the existing fence I will need to use fence panels. Best advice, please.

(This will indicate the type of fellow he is). Some years ago there was a pumpkin vine growing from his side through the chain link fence into my garden. At the end was a young pumpkin about 40 mm diameter. Noticing it, I said to him, 'Thanks for the pumpkin'. Seems to me he had not noticed it before. Few days later I looked again. All the foliage in that area was all bruised, and it could be seen that the small pumpkin had been forcefully dislodged. I knew he did it. Ordinarily it would first turn yellow, then fall off. It was still green.

I told him 'someone' destroyed the pumpkin I mentioned. He said, 'I never planted pumpkin'. Embarrassed, you see, did not expect me to notice.

He really does sound like a small-minded numpty!

Only thing I'd recommend is get some gravel boards too if you can. If he's fond of growing stuff, it gives you a little bit more protection, as well as make the fences last longer.

Okay. Gravel boards. Never thought of that. Thanks.

We had exactly the same, chain link between our gardens, between us we took the chain link down and then bolted 1200mm high wooden posts to the concrete posts and made a 1350 high with gravel boards picket fence, it gives privacy and also light for the new plants to grow, has been admired lots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back