Knowledge of the Panasonic TXL32V10B LCD TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen this TV in a few department stores in the uk and have a couple queries:

Does anyone here own one and would they recommend it? There seem to be a few very good deals on it at present and it makes me wonder whether there is any 'reason' for this ;) Having seen it in the shop, it looks like a beautiful thing.

Secondly, we don't have Sky at home, only a freeview built into our dvd player. This full hd tv comes with freesat. However, is there anything else like a satellite dish or other receiver that I'm going to need to but in order to play normal terrestrial tv and freeview on this at HD quality (if that is indeed possible for bbc1 etc). I've been doing a lot of reading on HD ready and full HD tvs, yet the information on freesat and other ways of viewing at HD quality is thin on the ground.

Any tekkies out there that can give me a pointer or two?

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
The telly is a Full HD set, but the tuners (Freeview and Freesat) are not capable of picking up a HD signal. That's not a fault or limitation, the set is very good. It's just that you'll need something like Sky HD or a Freesat HD tuner box if you want to give the telly a HD picture from a live broadcast.

Freesat HD tuner boxes start from £59. Here's a link

To watch Freesat HD or Freesat you'll need a satellite dish installing and the cable running into your house to give the box a signal. A retailer can sort all this for you.

Thanks Chris,

I shall have a look into this. I think it's has a tuner built in, but looks like I'll have to get either a dish or connect to cable. Someone told me Virgin have a good deal with phone and internet too.

Still, it looks like a great set and its only gripe was the price which has now come down massively...

Not sure I follow you about the tuners...and having to get cable or a Sat dish. So just for completeness (and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) but here's a run down of tuners and the signals the need:

Freeview Tuner - signal from a roof mounted TV aerial capable of picking up the Digital TV signals. An ancient analogue aerial that you would have used for BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch4 might not do the trick. A recently installed aerial is probably going to work.

Freesat Tuner - signal from satellite dish. A Sky dish will do as long as it is still pointing in the right direction.

When a TV has both types of tuner, as the Pana does, and you want to watch channels from both services then you need to connect signals from both an aerial and a satellite dish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the clarity.

Amazingly, we've survived so far on having no satellite dish or indeed roof aeriel. Just an room aeriel. However, being in London, the signal is usually excellent. This at least allows me to choose which way I want to set up the Panasonic. Will prob go for the outdoor digital compatible roof aeriel option.

However, I only queried about cable as we've a cable socket (and the previous owners had cable) and wondered whether we could just get a box and then connect to cable to receive HD. I'm no expert regarding cable technology as is probably obvious here. I do however completely understand your last message regarding the ways freesat and freeview work.

Cheers anyway

Mike

unfortunatly not, the cable will be switched off, and is encryped anyway, so you need a current card from virgin. there is a "free" service but you still need phone and broadband from them.

unlike sattelite/sky the box is only ever rented from them, whereas sky you buy the box from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back