knowledge sharing - Honeywell 4073A Motorised Valve Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks

Just thought I'd share a bit of knowledge I've just gained as I always find this forum v useful and informative.

Hot water and central heating system - hot water was working, tank thermostat switched boiler + pump on when controller was on for HW. So I know the boiler, pump and HW side of the controller were working. However when CH was on + thermostat on the pump + boiler didn't kick in. Weird.

(I guess you professionals would have diagnosed this already..)

However when I manually pushed the 4037A valve to open, the CH (pump + boiler) started up. Let it go and it stopped.

Phoned up Honeywell as I suspected the 4047A wasn't working. They asked me to check whether the white and grey to the valve were live, and they were, then with thermostat on + controller on, the orange/red should also be live but it wasn't. Suggested replacing just the motor inside the Honeywell.

5 minutes later I'm down the plumber's merchants £10 for new motor, fitted it, all works fine now.

So I'm chuffed, and saved a load of dosh.

However when I think back, a couple of days previously I had increased the boiler temperature to max to get the radiators a bit hotter. This must have caused the 4073 to overheat, as when there is a call for CH it is holding the valve open constantly, drawing 6W of power.

So to prevent it happening again, I (a) turned the water temperature down a bit, and (b) driller loads of holes in the top of of the new motor and Honeywell cover to allow the heat to escape. Job done fingers crossed.

cheers

Graham

:D :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back