LABC Part P inspection. Will I Pass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of wiring a new kitchen extension which will be inspected by my LABC. The inspector was happy with the original concept, but I did not go into detail as to the types of light fittings I would be using as these were undetermined at the time. I have now purchased six 50W mains halogen spotlights (from John Lewis) I then asked my builder when he was installing the rockwool insulation to leave 140mm clear around the lights as per the installation instructions. The builder informed me that in his opinion the fittings should be "fireproof" and that the LABC would not approve them.

The spotlights have a glass pyramid lens which fits over the lights on a bayonet connection against a seal. The extension is on the rear of the property to the ground floor only and has a tiled roof. Is the builder correct, do the lights need to be fireproof and if so, how do I know if the one's I've got are fireproof or not?

Sponsored Links
I think your builder is a little confused, lights with fire barriers in them serve one purpose, and thats to maintain the fire rateing of a ceiling, you need them if the ceiling is required to have a fire rating, as it would if the building was flats, basically in the event of a fire the fire barrier material swells up and prevents the spread of fire through the ceiling, if you need fire barrier fittings and the ones you are arn't then you can purchase separate fire hoods, but as there is no floor above, I'd doubt it, but LABC can be a bit odd at times

Fire barrier fittings do not stop the lights setting fire to their surroundings and sufficent clearence must still be left around it, however by removing insulation, you probably fall fowl of the building regs about energy efficiency, the best way to do this is to find out the vertical clearance required by the light fixture and construct a plasterboard box that meets all clearances, put it over the light and run insulation over the top of it, or just hope that LABC arn't too hot on part L

Relevant parts of the building regs are:

Part B... fire safety
Part L ... energy efficency
Part P ... Electrical safety (though that one is not particulary relevant to this question)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back