When does a bollard become a fence post?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we had a deck installed. In anticipation of finding some light bollards we liked, SWA cable was buried below the deck terminated at junction boxes at the appropriate mounting points for the lights. All tested and approved by LABC at the same time as my kitchen extension.

We have now decided to install posts instead with trellis in-between so the missus can grow plants from tubs up it.

So where the bollards were to go there will now be tanalised posts. This means that the lights will need to be fastened to the posts instead. So my questions are:

1. Because these posts will now have trellis attached do they constitute a fence and if so cannot have cables attached to them? or are they still classed as bollards?

2. Will the addition of the lights to the installed junction boxes need re-inspecting by the LABC?

3. As an alternative, if it's not permissible to fix the cables to the posts, as an alternative, could I fit 12v lights run by a remote transformer instead?. I can't seem to find a nice 12v wall light (not a spotlight) suitable for exterior use. Anyone know of one? It must be modern not "fussy" no sensors of any type and no more than £50 because I will will need several.

Sponsored Links
I don't see any issue with fixing the lights to it as long as its pretty substantual.

Afterall the structure is no more less permanent than a garden shed... and we install power and light to those, and with trellis inbetween the chance of wind blowing it down is quite small

Make sure your lights are suitable for mounting on combustable materials though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back