Can you wire a 12v transfomer into a lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, i'm intrested in installing LCD deck lights for my decking and they come with a 12v pack transformer etc and Junction box.

Now can this be wired into the lighting circuit i already have on my deck or will it need to be plugged in as pretty sure the picture i seen had a plug on the end.

this is some info they had on their website.

Each Pack contains the following:

2 x LED Fittings, each fitting is pre-wired with 5M Cable

1 x 12V Plug In Transformer prewired with 15M Cable

1 x 4 Way Junction Box - IP44

I know about Part P but just trying to work out options, as dont have socket mains on the decking.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
"plug in transformer" - its a wall-wart. the transformer has the plug built into it. It has to be plugged in to a 3-pin plug. Dont do it outdoors, because even the masterseal sockets that seal around the plugs wont accept wall-warts.

You could use an outdoor socket box though, attach a 3-pin plug to the lights on the decking and have the wall-wart inside the box. All very notifiable AFAIK.

Thanks crafty, is there a way to get around this adding a diffrent transformer etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back