HELP NEEDED Dog has eaten through 12v Decking lights !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i really need help/ advice from someone
i have 2 sets of decking lights installed on my deck (2 lots of 10) and ive woken up this morning and our new puppy has eaten through the cables going in to the plug in transformer! i have literally 1 inch of cable left on each
what are my options
any help suggestions welcomed
The 2 transformers are each saying on them

AC/DC ADAPTER
model no lk-d120020
input 240v ac 50Hz
output 12v dc 200mA

Sponsored Links
going in to the plug in transformer!
From what you say then on 230v side of power supply. So with just inches the only way is solder and epoxy lined shrink sleeve and as well as needing skill at soldering you also have to consider cost.

Output 12v dc 200mA is quite small and there are some cheap replacements so it could cost more to repair than buy new.

Location is important and how much water proofing if any is required.

I looked for power supply but could not locate if so the IP rating is unknown and even if known it is what is required which is more important.

So as "securespark" says pictures will help. And can the transformer (really should call it a power supply as DC) be put inside rather than outside as a cheaper version can then be used.

Sponsored Links
should have explained more
The 2 transformers are inside at moment
is there a way i can have 1 transformer to run both sets and also is there an option that i could put it outside and secure it in a box to save the dog getting it again !

yes its an indoor plug transformer. 2 of them but i dont want to have to rip the deck up as the connection unit is quite a distance away under several joists and boards

I am sure a 400ma supply would supply both lamps but why are they so different the white box looks far bigger then the wallmart unit you really do need to read the plates.

230 volt outside is not a good idea better dog outside.

the white unit is just a trail 230v extension lead unit for the transformer to plug into.
i already have an outside weatherproof socket, what im getting at is getting one transformer to run all 20 led lights and put the transformer in a waterproof box under deck?

Use something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoCvUo7ZaNM

There are countless different types on the market. You could even just buy a (cheap) huge IP rated box and put it under the decking. put the lead and the wall warts and the joints inside. Use the crimps and the tool in the links posted by Lectrician.

Buy stuffing glands to ensure you keep the IP rating where the flexes go into the box.

Strictly speaking, even SELV joints should be enclosed, but as yours will be inside a large waterproof box this will suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back