12v light transformer help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bought two saxby 60va 12v transformers off the web from a reputable shop, to replace one that died that does two lights. Wired it in and nothing. the circuit is not on a dimmer, I have checked the continuity of all the wiring to the lights and the bulbs there is 240v to the input. and the cable to the lights is about 1m. I have tried both transformers and nether seem to do anything.

Are both the new transformers dud or am i missing something and doing something daft.

Sponsored Links
What is the wattage of the lamps.?

What was the rating (VA) of the old transformer?

Are both lamps connected to one transformer or is there a transformer for each lamp?

Thanks

The old one is is 50va and had two 20w lamps. I have tried one lamp and two lamps wired in to each transformer and I have tried connecting the lamps directly to the transformer singly and two and not a glimmer.

I bought two transformers as there is already a second transformer that does two other lights and I thought I would replace that at the same time on the basis if one has died as its V old the other wont be far off.

TA

I assume you have correctly identified the mains input cable and connected that to the mains. I ask because I have seen a cheap copy "transformer" that had used the same cable type for mains in and 12 volt output. The genuine article had twin white wires for the output and mains for the input.

Some electronic transformers cannot survive ( for long ) if they have no load on their output when the mains is applied to them.

Sponsored Links
I hate 12v lighting, I swopped all mine out to 240v after buying three trannys in a year. There is a lot of rubbish cheap kit out there.

Swop it all out to 240v, it will still be happily working in 10 years by which time you would have bought another three trannys.

CW.

Complete nonsense.

The light from LV lamps is no where near as good as ELV.

It sounds like you've just had cheap or badly installed kit.

I installed 5 ELV downlighters in my bathroom 10 years ago. In that time I have had one lamp fail and that is it.

I very very rarely get called back to jobs for failed trannies, and I've fitted thousands of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back