SWA cable to outdoor lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the planning stages for a few electrical projects that I have on the go. All of these are Part P so I will need to either get a proper sparky in or do the work myself and get the work signed off.

One of the jobs is to fit some sort of driveway lighting. We currently have some low voltage lighting installed which is not adequate.

Down the side of our driveway we have lots of bushes with our boundary wall behind. The preferred option is to place some light bollards within the bushes. However, digging down two feet to lay a cable will be near impossible with all the trees/bushes.

The wall behind the bushes is in a dilapidated state and will be getting replaced with a fence next year. I've heard that it is not legal to attach cable to a fence but you are allowed to attach it to a wall. Is this correct?

Would the following be legal? Put the fence posts in (4 inch posts - 6 foot apart). Build a low wall (12 inch high) between the posts. Use this wall as a route for the SWA cable to be attached to (this would mean that the cable would have to bridge the 4 inch posts). Fit some low energy lights to the posts - about 4 in total for the 75 foot drive.

Failing that, I'll buy a torch.

Many thanks

Gordon

Sponsored Links
Everything else aside (cable size, fault protection etc) the install method of the cable sounds fine as long as there is no chance of mechanical damage (car :eek: , lawnmower etc) as SWA can still be damaged even though it is armoured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back