Using swa for outdoor plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am running a 4m length of 3 core SWA cable through my wall (off a RCD plug) and then I want to install a double outdoor socket on a fence post for garden lights. I have 2 questions please.

1. I understand I need to earth the SWA armour. How can I do this as the double outdoor plug is plastic, sitting on a fence post? Can I use one of the 3 wires somehow to earth the armour?

2. What is the best way to get to a 13A plug from the SWA which is inside the house and about 24" from the RCD adaptor.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
1) a bango and fly lead, but I would question whether a gate post was suitable location for a socket-outlet!
2) A 13A plug will not terminate on to SWA, I think you may have your terminology mixed up. You will need to explain a little better what you are actually proposing to do.

I strongly advice if this is a DIY job you know someone who can test the circuit and the operation of any RCD device that is being used.
This work will also require either an "electrical installation" or a "minor works" certificate.

Also what route does the SWA take is this to buried or surface mounted, if surface mounted what structure is this to be mounted on, as it will require to be secure/sturdy and in general fences are not considered to be this!

I have run the SWA cable through the wall into my house near a double socket. I was going to put in a RCD adaptor and then connect the SWA to this adaptor.

The SWA cable runs outside under paving and deck and then up a post which is part of a deck/pergola.

How does the fly lead go to earth in a plastic socket. I am planning to get it all approved.

Approved by who?

The banjo connects to earth in the socket, every socket has an earth even a plastic one. Piranah gland nuts are a lot easier to use .

If the circuit you connect to already has an RCD there is no point adding another, how do you plan to connect the SWA to the RCD adaptor? You would need to run the SWA into a junction box then connect to flex with a plug on. It would be prettier to connect directly via a dp isolator rather than a plug though a plug is easier if you want a timer on for lighting maybe.

Sponsored Links
You may struggle with that. Tbh for a small job like this I would get some quotes and pay someone who can self cert.

If not using a piranha-style arrangement then you will need two locknuts with a traditional banjo for a plastic accessory (to sandwich the banjo between the locknuts so that the plastic creeping will not cause loss of cpc).

4mm squared cable will not enter a BS 1363 plug, however (nor will SWA of any description).

Why is this unattainable, someone said to go into junction box and then flex. Why does something so simple made so hard EFLImpudence? Is this the rocket science forum?

I have run the SWA cable through the wall into my house near a double socket. I was going to put in a RCD adaptor and then connect the SWA to this adaptor.

(just can't go into a plug).

I was hoping to plug it into a RCD adaptor

Why is this unattainable,

Because it is not possible.

Why does something so simple made so hard EFLImpudence?

Why are you asking me?
You seem to be doing fine on your own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back