Is this work notifiable under Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've done some electrical work and I wonder if anyone can tell me whether it is notifiable or not. I did it and then stumbled across Part P regs afterwards.

I have taken a fused 13A spur off an RCD protected ring final to an outdoor socket. From this outdoor socket I have laid a swa cable (60cm depth) to my shed and wired in a couple of double plugs and a 3A fused switch to a light.

I now know it is notifiable to take a permanent electrical feed to an outbuilding.

I have the option of attaching the swa cable from my shed to the outdoor socket via an armoured gland or via a plug. If i use a gland (and therefore have it permanently connected) it would be notifiable.

If I use a plug (via an adjacent outdoor junction box connected to the outdoor sockets), does that class it is as a glorified extension lead and does Part P not apply? My thoughts are that I can physically disconnect the shed whenever it is not being used.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have taken a fused 13A spur off an RCD protected ring final to an outdoor socket. From this outdoor socket I have laid a swa cable (60cm depth) to my shed and wired in a couple of double plugs and a 3A fused switch to a light.
I now know it is notifiable to take a permanent electrical feed to an outbuilding.
That is not true, provided you are in England (rather than Wales).
I have the option of attaching the swa cable from my shed to the outdoor socket via an armoured gland or via a plug. If i use a gland (and therefore have it permanently connected) it would be notifiable.
Again, no. Provided you are England, then if, as you have described, you are extending an existing circuit, then extending it 'permanently' into the shed would not be notifiable.

The circuit in question needs to be RCD-protected.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I'm confused. I read it to be any permanent electrical wiring to an outbuilding was notifiable. Why is it not notifiable if it is just extending a circuit to a shed?

Yes I am in England.

Hi John, Thank you for your reply. I'm confused. I read it to be any permanent electrical wiring to an outbuilding was notifiable. Why is it not notifiable if it is just extending a circuit to a shed?
I don't know where you read it, but it was wrong. Since the appearance of some extensive relaxations so the notification rules (in England, but not Wales) in 2013, there are now only three things which are notifiable (in England):

Replacement of a consumer unit
Installation/creation of a "new circuit"
Work in certain 'zones' of a bathroom

... and that's it!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Its an addition to a circuit so a minor works cert should be done also the RCD protecting the circuit should be upgraded to a Type A

That's not good enough, you should contact a registered spark and get a full inspection and test carried out.
I do need to get an electrician in to do some additional work so I'll get them to test it then.

In theory every bit of electrical work done should have either a minor works certificate or an installation certificate and the filling out of these certificates prompts one to doe the inspection and testing required. This is both for domestic and commercial work. But it is not law, just what the IET/BSi lay out in BS 7671.

In practice I would not think many electricians raise minor works for all work, they may inspect and test, but not to the extent the regulations say they should.

The £50 socket tester with loop and RCD test will catch major faults, but it can’t test neutral to earth, as both are at same voltage, and the loop test shows better than 1.9 Ω where the regulations for a B32 MCB says 1.38 Ω so for a ring final it could be over the limit, seems designed for Europe with 16 amp radials not the UK even when it has a UK plug built in. And the RCD test does not measure time, and clearly you can’t measure 40 mS with a stop watch.

However in real terms they are good enough, they will catch most major faults, the correct test gear would cost in excess of £500 and to hire it need calibrating before each hire, so not cheap to hire, a scheme member electrician is forced to pay for calibration by his scheme provider, although as I found out, it may say traceable calibration, but try tracing it and it becomes clear you can’t.

So I would simply use a plug in tester with loop, and be satisfied if that gives a pass.

In fact, outside power is definitely NOT minor works.

I would go as far as to say also not DIY work.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back