Part P or not Part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would the following require permission / inspection under part P, or is it just ok as normal DIY work.

Run a mains cable from a rcd plugged into a switched socket, through a wall and into a IP67 rated box (via waterproof cable clands) box and glands are all suitable for outside use, and ce certified kit.

Box is designed for outdoor use (CCTV telemetry equipment) and can control mains equipment (all IP rated, CE certified of the shelf stuff, designed for outdoor use, pan tilts etc, etc. mains but low current equipment, at most say 1 amp max)

As the stuff is all designed to be used outdoors, is CE certified, and runs direct through the wall into the equipment, can this be done without notification/testing?

Any cabling will be connected inside the weather proof box, the incoming mains plugs into a prebuilt kettle socket type socket, and any mains cables going to the controlled equipment connects via terminal blocks inside the sealed weather proof box, and exits via weather proof cable glands.

The only other cabling would be cctv stuff (composite video signal) and computer signal stuff (rs485).

Sponsored Links
As you say the mains connects via a terminal block in a JB outdoors then I believe this is more than likely notifiable. If it was Low voltage control cables going through the wall then I'd be inclined to say not notifiable, most pan/tilt and telemetary units I have seen are 12V with the transformer in the housing.
The signal and control cables will be non-notifiable. Is this for a domestic use?

This is what the relevent part of the law says is non-notifiable, work on:

(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

(b) equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a).

More info on part p here:
Ban-all-Sheds part p summary 04/06

Guidance to approved document 2006

yes, its for domestic use, learning CCTV for fun ;)

Got two controllers, one is for 240v pan tilt heads, the other for 12 or 24v heads, but if I was to test one in the back yard then I would probably end up having to use the 240v one as I only have a 240v head (but can get a 24v head if needs be in time).

The head is a totally sealed unit, would work fine underwater if needbe, so not worried about a bit of rain on it, the telemetry box is another sealed unit, the 24v one has a toroid transformed in it to power low voltage pan tilts, and both units have relays for switching on/off auxillary equipment (such as infra red spotlights etc).

Where it says,

(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

So the signalling cabling is ok...
Im a bit confused, as any mains stuff obviously IS equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a). Its the equipment being controlled by the control wiring, and according to that quote, as its associated with the control wiring, as I see it, is non notifiable, or am I missing something.

This part p stuff is very confusing - now I am I not sure if I can do simple jobs that I would have thought nothing of doing years ago (and have been wiring mains and low voltage stuff since a teenager, never blew anyone up yet!)

If part P had a free test you could take, to prove you could safely do DIY work, then it would be ok, but as far as I understand it it would cost me a pretty penny (or probably several hundred pounds) each year, just to be able to self certify diy jobs - is this correct?

You have hit the nail on the head there, to be able to self cert you have to pay out approx £450 each year, there is no easy cost effective way for people who do diy jobs for friends and family as favours, etc (if there was I'd be purchasing my test kit next week and signing up :) )

All I can suggest is open a building notice and leave it open (upto 3 years, if I'm correctly informed) and do the full job yourself upto 16th on all elec jobs you do (testing included) rather than paying the council to do that part for you... and just send them an EIC (or MWC) after each job (you'll have to discuss this with your LABC though, mine quite correctly told me there would be no problems accepting competant jobs and certs from anyone... the ability to submit a competant job and cert is the deciding factor rather than any fallacy about being descended from mary queen of scots...)

If its just for the CCTV, then I can't imagine I'd actually bother with notfiying to tell you the truth....

Sponsored Links
kensplace said:

So the signalling cabling is ok...
Im a bit confused, as any mains stuff obviously IS equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a). Its the equipment being controlled by the control wiring, and according to that quote, as its associated with the control wiring, as I see it, is non notifiable, or am I missing something.

The way I read (b) is equipment associated with the extra low voltage will be the likes of a PIR on an alarm system, a telephone plugged into the telephone line, that sort of stuff. Outdoor power installations on the other hand come under special installations. If in doubt you can ask your local area building control who should be able to give you an answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back