Is this work notifiable under Part P

Right, but it's also my understanding that what the politicians intend (or claim to intend) when they write a law, and what the actual effect of a law is are not always the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Right, but it's also my understanding that what the politicians intend (or claim to intend) when they write a law, and what the actual effect of a law is are not always the same thing.
That is true.

However, the stupid 'FCU issue' only exists because of BS7671's definition of "a circuit", and that has nothing to do with the law. If (although it will never happen) a court were asked to rule on the interpretation of the notification requirement in question (which is part of the law), they therefore would probably not look to BS7671. Instead, I imagine that they would give considerable weight to the observation that, as you have said, what happened in 2013 (in England) was described as an extensive relaxation/reduction of notification requirements, so that it seemed very unlikely that the intended interpretation was that there would be an appreciable 'tightening' of one aspect of the rules, such as to render notifiable something which was previously not notifiable.

If someone wanted to get really really 'pedantic' (aka silly!) they could presumably try to argue that the plugging in of, say, an oven, into a 13A socket was notifiable, since the 13A fuse in the plug created 'a circuit' (per BS7671 definition) in just the same was as does the fuse in an FCU (given that App Doc P advises that "Installing fixed equipment is within the scope of Part P, even if the final connection is by a standard 13A plug and socket) :)

Kind Regards, John

I have gained two things from this thread.

1. I can go ahead as planned.
2. I'm calling JohnW2 as an expert witness if I am called before a judge because of it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have gained two things from this thread.
1. I can go ahead as planned.
2. I'm calling JohnW2 as an expert witness if I am called before a judge because of it.
;)
You're only problem there would be that I am in no way 'qualified' to be an expert witness in relation to such matters - all I can offer is the ability to read and what I hope is a bit of common sense :)
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.
You're welcome. Give or take the subsequent discussion about 'pedantics', your point (1) above is essentially correct, and what matters to you.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back