Outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a new house. i'm no expert when it comes to electrics, but i know the basics. There is an outside light which i need some advice on. It is fed from the garage by a standard 1.5 T&E through some round black PVC trunking to what looks like a weather proof box. The cable then just runs from the box, via a gland to the light. SO the last 6 inches of cable are exposed to the elements.

Is this OK?? It looks like they have gone to lots of trouble to put in the trunking and weather proof box and gland. IS this OK to keep it like this or is there something i can do to improve it?? The light doesn't have any knockouts big enough for the conduit, so i can see why they used cable, but thought they would have used weatherproof cable??

Any help/advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the visible external cable entering the light fitting is 1.5mm T&E, then the cable is not suitable for external conditions as T&E can perish in extreme cold and warm conditions, not really designed for outside without additional protection.
So that length could be changed to Hi-Tuff cable, if you were looking for improvement.
But saying all that, I have known of T&E to last over twenty years in that sort of set up.
So it's up to you, I personally would leave it!

If the exposed cable is black then likely it will be a satisfactory type.

However, even the 'wrong' type will last for years and you will be able to see when it is degrading and can replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back