Low Voltage Garden Lights/CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I’m pretty uninitiated in electrics and wonder if this garden installation is possible and what I might need to achieve it. I have a garden room which I am finishing and having wiring put in. I will have 240v external sockets and bare cable that can be wired directly to a transformer if needed. I wish to place two EZVIZ EzGuard security cameras on the Garden Room. They each come with a DVE Switching Adapter (input 240v 0.5A, output +12V 1A, Efficiency Level 'V').

834-CF952-AB82-4-C80-A692-B487-FD772838.jpg

I also wish to run some garden lights starting from the garden room running along all along the garden wall. The first 10 - 15m of the wall will be draped in some LED fairy lights, and the next 10 - 15m further along the wall will continue with 6 bollard/post lights (about 50cm high ones). From a cursory glance it looks like 2 x 10m LED light strings would be 2W each (4W), and 6 x LED bollard lights about 2W each (12W). I would like all three zones switched independently.

My first question is, can these all be run off one transformer, and if so, which one is suitable? If not should I install 3 transformers? One for both cameras, one for the fairy lights and one for the bollard lights? 12 or 24V for the lights? I know there are generic transformers and also generic lights out there, and there are also bespoke ones from the likes of Techmar, in-lite and Konstsmide. Is it easy enough to work with the off-the-shelf stuff or much better to go with these all-in-one premium brands?

Secondly, is it possible to switch the two sets of lights independently and does this mean they must be powered by separate transformers? Can they be controlled wirelessly with a Kinetic Self-powered Wireless Remote Control and receiver like the Curv CV05 on the output of the transformer? The details are:

s-l1600.png

Wireless Receiver: CV05

Power Supply Input: 220V - 230V AC, 50/60HZ
Output Type / Channel Numbers: “On” or “Off” output of power supply / 1 channel Max Load 5A
Load Of Filament Lamp: 500W
Load Of Fluorescent Lamp: 200W
Load of LED: 200W
Static Power Consumption: <1W

Sponsored Links
Hello all,

I’m pretty uninitiated in electrics and wonder if this garden installation is possible and what I might need to achieve it. I have a garden room which I am finishing and having wiring put in. I will have 240v external sockets and bare cable that can be wired directly to a transformer if needed. I wish to place two EZVIZ EzGuard security cameras on the Garden Room. They each come with a DVE Switching Adapter (input 240v 0.5A, output +12V 1A, Efficiency Level 'V').

834-CF952-AB82-4-C80-A692-B487-FD772838.jpg

I also wish to run some garden lights starting from the garden room running along all along the garden wall. The first 10 - 15m of the wall will be draped in some LED fairy lights, and the next 10 - 15m further along the wall will continue with 6 bollard/post lights (about 50cm high ones). From a cursory glance it looks like 2 x 10m LED light strings would be 2W each (4W), and 6 x LED bollard lights about 2W each (12W). I would like all three zones switched independently.
Wireless Receiver: CV05

My first question is, can these all be run off one transformer, and if so, which one is suitable?

/QUOTE]

4 + 12 = 16w. Your 12v 1A switching supply only provides 12 w so clearly not suitable.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I understand that much, I wasn't proposing to use this for lights or anything else. This is the adapter for one of my cameras. I want to place two of my cameras on just one supply with an output splitter. Hence I was after a recommendation for one which would support both cameras.

As for the lights I'm now thinking both sets of lights need to be on their own supply (transformer or regulated 12v DC power supply) so they can be switched independently with a CV05 receiver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back