Lack of hot water from shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

almost 3 years ago i had a new boiler fitted - Vaillant Ecotek plus 831. it replaced an old system that had hot & cold water tank. This old system had a pump for the shower but was removed as i had the combi fitted. the boiler is in the kitchen at the back of the flat. the bathroom is at the front of the flat

Once fitted i noticed the pressure was greater & that the mix of hot & cold was perfect. only had to set the temp of the water from the boiler & all was fine. About 1 year ago i notice that whenever i'd turn the mixer shower on fully there would be very little hot water coming out. The shower was effectively cold.

i turned the temp up at the boiler & this solved this issue only for a short while. now the problem is back & to get round the issue i have to open the shower tap only a bout 1/4 of the way (which slows the flow of water) & then i get hot water & a nice hot shower.

i have good mains pressure. so my question(s) is/are

why would this issue only now have come up? what should i look at first?

1 - clean the shower head?
2 - is it a thermostat issue?
3 - change shower head to smaller one to slow flow of water coming out - as when i do this with the tap, i get more hot water

any other ideas or pointers or any one else had a similar issue & resolved it?

Sponsored Links
Thermostatic shower valves often get set to an appropriate temperature and left at that setting. Because of that, some manufacturers recommend a monthly 'maintenance routine' of swinging the temperature control from maximum to minimum a few times to stop the innards from sticking at one point.

Next - clean the shower head.

Then check the inlet filter, as Muggles suggested.

Thanks for the above info guys. Another simple/dumb question. My mixer bar looks exactly as the "Quattre Bar shower kit" on B&Q website (see below link)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1267645738992&isSearch=true

so, i assume once i take this mixer bar off, i should be able to open it up & see the inlet filter? is this different/seperate to the thermostatic mixing valve or part of this valve?

thanks again

marcus

Sponsored Links
the filters are inside the 3/4" nuts when you take the mixer off the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back