Shower pump not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we have a cold water header tank and hot water cylinder feeding into a Salamander shower pump. This then goes to our thermostatic mixer shower.

We've had a few issues with the shower - have to turn the temp to 0 before water will flow but lately have also had to lower the shower head to get flow. Occasionally this ceased totally but running some hot water into the bath and trying again has made the pump kick in.

Today none of the above worked, turn on shower and slow trickle of cold water comes out and pump won't kick in. :(

any ideas? can't cope with having to bath in the morning!!! :cry:

Sponsored Links
sounds like you head height from bottom of tank in loft to showerhead is to small.
the tank needs to be aleast 600mm higher than showerhead

Had exactly the same problem on a recent job, head was the problem.

Only way of getting wound it is lift the tank in the loft, or call salamander and they will sell you a air hose kit for about £40.00 basically it lies to the pump that the water is there and starts the pump, the only problem with this is that its another button to press to get the shower working.

In the mean time (bit cowboy, but soes work to allow you to have a shower) start the shower with the dribble coming through, go to the pump and CAREFULLY ease open the flexi on the hot or cold that feeds the pump, as soon as any air gets in it should start the pump, REMEMBER to to tighten the connection, enjoy your shower! You will get a small amount of water but just put a bit kithen towel or something around as you open it.

Just out of curiosity, is the shower head a fixed type?

pump has been installed and working ok since June, why all of a sudden does the installation need changing? confused :confused:

Shower has two heads with a diverter, one large fixed overhead and second smaller height adjustable one.

Sponsored Links
Have you removed the head and tried running the shower without is attached to the hose? Limescale build up can cause a restriction in flow, check the head for build up, and clean to elimate this. You would be suprised how little can stop the pump from starting.

pump was bought and installed by plumber not me to solve our dire water pressure problem.

hose has been checked and is clear.

Header tank is in loft above airing cupboard, pump is located next to hot water tank on floor of airing cupboard, so must be over 600mm above shower height - especailly when head is removed and hose is lying in bottom of tray.

Shower is in bathroom several meters away from cupboard.

Plumber will be coming back to sort this out but would like to be able to have a shower before they get round to calling me back :(

I do believe I have told you a way of getting the pump started in the mean time before the plumber decides to come back!

Have you tried continually turning the shower between hot and cold? This will sometimes also get the pump working.

Would be interested in knowing IF the plumber turns up, what he recommends!

Have you removed the head and tried running the shower without is attached to the hose? Limescale build up can cause a restriction in flow, check the head for build up, and clean to elimate this. You would be suprised how little can stop the pump from starting.
I know this is an old post, but just had the same problem with my shower pump. I took the shower head off, laid the hose on the shower tray, turned only the cold flow on and immediately the shower pump kicked in !! fantastic. Gave the shower head a good clean out , replaced it and all is working fine now . The pump was installed only 4 months ago !!
Thanks so much for this advise

I had a similar issue in a house I rented nearly 10 years ago. I replaced the pump twice, (at my expense because waiting for the LL was a waste of time). Eventually I got into the loft to discover the hot feed, from the cylinder, instead of running flat across the loft floor, was arched over the loft floor and cold tank before travelling down to the shower head. This kept causing airlocks in the pipework. That was enough for me. We moved out and have never looked back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back