Laminate flooring - Laying it in 2 directions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,
I have a query which someone may be able help.
Scenario: I plan to lay laminate flooring in my bungalow.
Front door opens into entrance hall (6ft X 10ft), straight head goes into living room and to the left(at 90 degrees) is a corridor (3 1/2 ft X 30 ft).

Now, I planned to lay floor running in from front door and flowing continously into living room . If i continue in this direction the flooring would run across the corridor, rather than running the length of it.

Would it be ok to lay the floor up and down the length of the corridor and butt it perpendicular to the floor running from the hall into living area.

Hopefully this makes sense !!
Thanks in advance,
gLo.

Sponsored Links
Wood works (even laminated = mdf or hdf).
If you install the floor the way you mentioned, it will create two different 'forces' were the hallway meets the corridor and you don't wont to know how a floor can buckle when the worst happens.

Most simple way is to install a threshold (T-section, Twin) were the hallway turns into the corridor and install both areas separately.

Hi Glo,
It might look slightly odd but, yes, you are definitely better running your laminate lengthwise up the corridor...it'll look naff laid across the width.
Were the two areas meet you need an expansion joint (you need expansion joints around the entire perimeter). You should get a suitable trim from your laminate supplier which has a base that fixes to the sibfloor, and a cap which covers the gap and bridges over onto the two laminate surfaces.
You should be able to get an mdf veneer cap which matches your laminate and this will look good...one word of warning though, these trims arn't as tough as the metal ones and tend to scuff and deteriorate along the edges...the metal ones don't look as good but are tougher.

Thanks for replies...... I'll see what my local supplier has in the way of expansion joints.

gLo.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back