lamp... fire hazard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a lamp that consists of a wooden platform with a bulb on it.
In front of the bulb sits a cut out plywood painted sail boat and the light shines out around this boat.
It is attached onto the wall and the on off switch is on the flex.

He likes to leave this on all night but when my mam was last here, she commented that she didnt think this was safe and was a fire hazard.

Should I be using a special bulb or should the actual lamp base be of a specific type to leave on all the time?

thankyou in advance for any help given.

Sponsored Links
Does the boat get hot when the lamp is left on over night? What wattage is the bulb? If it's 100 or 60 you could change it for a 40W. Also I would worry about small hands being able to touch a very how bulb...

SB

You could always fit a low-powered compact flourescent, a bit longer but run much cooler.

BTW I heard that children who sleep in rooms with the light on tend to get short sighted, don't know why.

Perhaps you could put a timer on it so it goes out after he's asleep; he will have to get used to the dark sooner or later.

Sponsored Links
thanks both, I will check and if needs be change the bulb.

You are right about getting him used to the dark John, I do try to say there is nothing scary about it ...
I think I need to monitor the programmes he sees too!
even though as you know, I wanted lights outside because I felt vulnerable being in darkness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back