Land drain connection to sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of connecting to mains sewer. It's a combined sewer so we are also putting surface/storm water down it as our site has been determined impermeable.

We have an old land drain entering our site from outside our land. It has a steady trickle of water and currently drains into a pipe that disappears under the house :( CCTV shows cause for concern!

I'd like to ask our contractors to connect this to our new drainage system. A few questions:

1) Is this allowed? i.e. will building control sign-off
2) I'm guessing some sort of catch pit is the best way of connecting? I'm struggling to find something manufactured, any tips?

The land drain is old clay ware pipes butted against each other, obviously surprisingly effective given the water coming through them

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A lot of those old clay land drains will long outlast any of the plastic efforts laid today! I'd be inclined to have a word with the BCO and see what he suggests, where does it run to now? (As the CCTV has shown up something to worry you!)

It runs under the house, and then it looks like it intercepts another perpendicular land drain somewhere under our lounge. They have brayed a hole in the top of the perpendicular land drain and it appears to be mostly pouring into it, although there is a bit of a cavity formed. Where it goes then, who knows as we can't get a trace into the perpendicular drain.

Essentially we have damp in the walls near this botched connection.

As I've found the origin of the land drain (previously a mystery), I'm keen to intercept it up stream and keep it away from the house.

Sponsored Links
If the building's damp proof course is working as expected, it should really keep any wet out, I would be slightly concerned as rerouting the land drain could ultimately upset the water table on site, and if you've clay soil, could cause the clay to dry out and movement occur.

The perpendicular drain is fairly likely to run straight, is there a ditch or watercourse nearby that may drain into? Ideally the land drain in question needs diverting around the building, connection into a combined sewer should be a last resort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back