Connection to Foul Sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in scotland and my foul drainage currently goes to a septic tank however I have recently discovered that there is a combined sewer system in the village.

From digging some exploritory holes I have found that there are 6" clay pipes taking the roof drainage on the east and west side of the house and these head to and I presume connect into the combined sewer (I'm going to do a dye test to confirm this).

If I were to do things by the book I would have to send Scottish Water an SC1 form and pay them near £400 as a connection charge. On the other hand I could easily connect my foul into the 6" clay pipe and save the connection charge.

My question is, As I already have a connection to the SW sewer via the 6" clay pipe why should I have to pay when I am connecting to my pipe on my land?

Sponsored Links
Who you choose to pay or duck and dive is your business but given that you are unsure about exactly what function these pipes have, its tempting fate that the utility will come for substantial re-instatement costs at some possible future discovery date.

If you are, unintentionally or not, fouling a rainwater only drainage then, for my two cents, you are doing a bad thing.

Thanks, before I decide anything I'm going to do a bit of futher investigation to see how it all works. I'm a Civil Engineer so have a good knowledge of drainage systems.

Sponsored Links
Cant see as you would be liable for a connection charge unless you were making a new connection to the main sewer. As you propose to connect via an existing live connection I would have though a courtesy call to Scottish Water to gain permission for your proposal would be prudent.

Your getting their agreement to make such a connection would be wise, and they then cannot accuse you of making an illegal connection. They also have the opportunity to begin billing you for sewerage services, so all is above board. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back