Is there a pushin flange for a 7" clay spigot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm connecting a new wc pipe to an existing clay sewer.

I've bought the flexible connectors to connect the clay to 160mm pvc, but I was wondering whether there is a push in pvc adapter that fits into the spigot end of the clay pipe that I could use instead of the flexible connector?

I can find one for 110mm pipe, but not 6" clay.

Any pointers?

Jo

Sponsored Links
17F3C90C-6542-4E33-B1CF-F7234F058FD1.jpeg
I think it’s saltglaze.

I thought it might be easier to break the pipe at the existing spigot... but no doubt someone will tell me if I’m thinking like a jackass!

Sponsored Links
No, the type of fittings I think you are referring to are only available in 110mm. Anything bigger, usually 6" and above is usually a Public Sewer, and needs a proper connection doing, that doesn't reduce the bore of the sewer. The Junction and 2 Flexseal couplings will suffice, should be able to slide the Flexseal's onto the junction to give you enough room to slot it in between the 2 cut ends, then pull them back and tighten to make the joints.

You'll need to give yourself enough room to cut that pipe, with either an angle grinder all the way around the pipe, or possibly a chain cutter. Dont attempt to try and do it any other way or you risk shattering the pipe.

Thanks Hugh,

I can't afford a chain cutter, so a lot more digging and angle grinder it will be...shattering the pipe is my biggest fear - will just have to put on my big girl pants and go for it!

Jo

Just go light with the grinder to start the cut off and watch out for skating, lubricate the cut while you go if you can. Be prepared to cut out a notch/section to get the angle grinder in to cut clean all the way to the bottom if you can't clear enough below .

Those Lidl forever bags have a million uses don't they, oh and love what you've done with the design of your safety footwear ;)

I hired a chain pipe cutter in the end. One cut perfect - once I’d worked out how to get it tight on the pipe. The second shattered near the collar but thankfully it all chipped off the other pipe.

All done. I’ll post a pic later including footwear!

If it’s wrong don’t tell me - will wait for building control chap and at least sleep well tonight!

Attachments

• A2F496DF-28CA-4CA8-80A0-BDA706B90A12.jpeg
    A2F496DF-28CA-4CA8-80A0-BDA706B90A12.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 194
I've seen worse, but I'm sure the BCO will have their own ideas!

Going by the old fireclay joint it looks like you have the branch fitted against the flow of the drain, unless you have taken the second pic from the other end of the hole.

clay pipe 2.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

no its just my photography - I've taken the pic from the other end as you said. It passed Building Control inspection.

I was pretty impressed with myself - especially when i could still get my knee up to my ear hole to put my foot on the ground from inside the hole AND push myself out!

I do have work shoes and boots it’s just that I hardly ever remember to take pictures of beforehand!! Once I’ve done the project I’ll maybe post all the pics. I’m screeding a floor this afternoon - thankfully it’s only 2.2m square. Should be dry by time u come back from my holiday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back