clay to pvc flexible adaptor sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting an inspection chamber into an existing "old" clay drain. I bought two flexible adaptors ( screwfix) which are marked as adapting 110mm to 122-136.
Being a timid soul, I measured the circumference of the existing glazed clay pipe , before cutting it. The circumference is 440mm which I calculate makes the outer diameter 140mm. ie 4mm outside the stated range of my adaptors.
A quick search online doesn't show any 140-110 adaptors.
Common sense suggests that 4" clay is 4" clay and that Screwfix adaptors will fit. But I am nervous about that 4mm difference and reluctant to fire up the Stihl saw till I'm sure. Any one got any insights?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you measure the circumference with a piece of string and measure that ?

Sponsored Links
You want an AC4000 for 4” clay, that says the same sized as the Screwfix one but it definitely fits.

I kinda think that 5mm is not a lot of stretch for a rubber adaptor. But I have the nagging doubt that it is not "really 4inch pipe" . Just wanted to check if there is weird stuff out there! Guess I am just being paranoid!
Thanks

They do stretch quite well but not when they are cold. A little soak in warm water softens them up nicely.

Ok. I think I need to man-up, fire up the saw- and have a heat gun handy!
Thanks to all of you for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back