replacing underground drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok - here is the problem, terrace house council built in the 80's..

One of the bushes in the garden has grown behind a rainwater downpipe and forced it away from the wall.

After removing the shrub noticed that it has also destroyed a short straight clay pipe and a 90 deg bend.

The clay pipe is 110mm i/d, about 122 o/d. There is a rubber cap at the top ( marked 120 ) with a hole to accept the downpipe.

Digging a hole I can just see a rubber connecting ring and about 1/2 inch of clay pipe before it disappears under the neighbours footpath.

Now the problem is that the pipe runs horizontally at a 45 deg angle to our wall, the gap between the rubber seal on the remaining clay pipe and the wall is hard to measure but at a guess is it is about 80mm at the closest - although it must be more as the pipe is 120mm o/d but it is tight.. So I can only presume that the pipe was originally joined then buried right next to the wall.

So I can see no way to replace the bend.....as i don't have enough clearance to push the new bend into the existing pipe, and can't get to the existing pipe as it is under the neighbours property!

The downpipe only serves about a 2m length of guttering due to a dormer window, and is 65mm square.

Can I fit some kind of flexible end to the downpipe and feed it inside the end of the good pipe I can see with some kind of seal. or feed it into some kind of soakaway with the outlet going down the existing clay pipe?

Or does anyone have any other ideas.

There is also a black plastic membrane vertically against the brick wall, this starts about 3 or 4 inches below the soil level. Not sure if it is just where the downpipe is, or if it extends the whole length of the wall.
The offending plant has grown between the wall and the membrane.
There is a conventional DPC a couple of bricks above ground level so what is this membrane for?

Sponsored Links
Can you fit something akin to this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-rainwater-adaptor/38593 in the end of the clayware? Then run a short section of rainwater pipe in to connect from existing position. (I'd change to round pipe at the base of the existing square downpipe to reconnect otherwise you may need several dozen bends! ;) )

Wouldnt suggest any type of soakaway next to the building, the water needs to be kept away from the foundations or you may create a damp issue.

Use hugh`s adapter - in the (wc.) end of a flexible pan connector - the other end into the clay -Hepsleve or supersleve- pipe . That`ll avoid rainwater pipe adaptors , and trying to set bends to fit . OK it`s white , give it a coat of gloss black ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back