New SVP and lining drain pipe to septic tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My stench pipe is in a bit of a state. The paint is flaking off and the white pipe looks like asbestos to me. So ideally I'd like to replace it rather than repaint.

However, I also have something of a problem with the drain from the SVP to the septic tank. It's the old fashioned clay pipe and I'm pretty sure that the pipe joins are sealed with mortar which is flaking away. Sometimes the bottom of the downpipe in the septic tank itself clogs up and when it is vacuumed out I can hear the bits of mortar travelling up the suction hose.

When I rod out the drains there is one point where the rubber rodding disc bounces over a ridge in the drain. So it seems that there has been some displacement in one place at least in the drain.

What I'd like to know is there a method of lining the existing old clay drains? The drain is about 75cms (30ins) down in a brick built chamber entrance to the septic tank itself and I don't fancy all that digging.......

Sponsored Links
Hello Alistair,

I spend some time googling for clay pipe rectification, foul water pipe repair, etc, but never thought of the simple 'sewer linings'. Stupid of me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hello Alistair,

I spend some time googling for clay pipe rectification, foul water pipe repair, etc, but never thought of the simple 'sewer linings'. Stupid of me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

:D
i often find the more descriptive you are in a google search, the less it tends to come up with.
straight to the monosybilic point is always best. :LOL:

good luck.

Sponsored Links
The fear of digging would be far outweighed by the fear of pipe failure in my book.

Get the shovel out and replace it with a plastic pipe.

Peace of mind, job done!

Well, Noseall, I've considered that. The trouble is that the sewer pipe is about 35 yards long, has a brick inspection chamber a third of the way down, and terminates in another very deep brick chamber in front of the septic tank itself.

Also the bath, basin and kitchen sink pour in to the first chamber, and the stench pipe needs replacing. If I did all this myself the house would be virtually uninhabitable for about a month. I'm starting to wonder if I should just have a commercial firm give me a quote for the lot.

The obvious expense of this is why I'm considering pipe lining as an admittedly second best. Do you think this may not be satisfactory?

If anyone in the business wants to come and have a look, I'd be delighted. I live just outside Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

I recently had a similar problem, with pitch fibre underground pipes which had collapsed internally, part of them were under a tarmac drive and i also considered some sort of lining system to avoid digging up the drive.
Decided as noseall states to get the shovel out and dig it all up, you could dig all the trenches down to the pipe level along the whole length get all your pipes and fittings ready and then just replace the pipes over a weekend, back fill enough to hold the pipes in place. I just avoided using the toilets etc overnight to give the mortar chance to harden where the pipes enter the brick manholes

It might also be possible to connect up bath basin etc to a temporary overground pipe

AndyAndy2,

Don't know why I didn't think of excavating first and having stuff ready alongside. For some reason I just assumed that I'd have to turf the lot out all at once, earth, pipes and all. Think I'm getting more stupid in me old age....

I could probably even do it in two halves. The stench pipe and sewer length to the inspection chamber first, with the main portion of sewer later when I've recovered the will to live.

The wife is strongly advising me to put up with things as they are, of course. No, it's not nagging. She says it isn't anyway.

Thanks for your commonsense suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back