Joining pipes onto private sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've managed to cause some damage to clay sewer pipes connecting our drains to private drain running across our street. The main private sewer line seems fine but our bit joining onto it has collapsed at the oblique junction (encased in concrete). Due to the concrete, we can't put a flexible coupling on outside of clay pipe to join new pipe section.

Instead, I am thinking we could make a join from inside. I am thinking something like a WC connector would do but hopefully there is something just for the job? Is this a really bad idea? It does mean that the sewer pipe would be narrower for a small section underground.

Another option is to cut a channel in a upvc pipe section and then overlap on this channel making smaller diameter pipe I can squeeze inside clay. Then put a flexible connector on the other side and concrete around it. This may be better than WC connector as it would give less of a narrowing.

And my final option - I could make a butt joint with another clay pipe and then encase it all in concrete.

I guess 'textbook' way is to dig up the oblique junction and replace it with a new section with flexible couplers. I don't really want to go there if there is an easier way though - its probably a job for 3am and likely I would finish knee deep in floaters with another bad memory.

Please help with any thoughts/advise!

Sponsored Links
The only proper way would be to replace the clay pipe with clay pipe.

Measure the damaged section, make up the replacement in a safe position (top side). Next break out the concretet around the clay pipe to give you working space. With a 9" grinder cut the marked section to give a butt joint at both ends. To connect the new to the old use 'Bandseal' connectors, these are big rubber socks that tighten with jubilee clips. But you need the ones with the central steel reinforcing band for below ground drainage.

With good preparation, accurate marking and good timing, your risk of a poo attack will be low.

Thats exactly what I can't do. Flexible connectors wrap around the pipe and I have concrete in the way there. Chipping the old concrete without damaging the 70 year old pipe seems possible until you have tried it - once you have, you realise concrete is stronger than clay and pipe crumbles like biscuit. I need another option like an internal sleeve.

Another route is to get a company in that use Renoline. This is a plastic pipe lining system that is set hard using chemicals once fully inflated (a bit like a Stint in your veins).

Drains need to be jetted clean first and the repair runs from one access chamber to another. Is this a long run? as the shorter the cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Afraid that seems an overkill too - the entire pipe is exposed so you would be lining a 3 m section of excavated pipe to bridge a 5cm section I can't put a collar on.

There is no easy fix for this type of problem, failure to make a proper repair now will only cause it to come back and bite you later. Can you post a photo of the area in question?

If the branch on the private sewer is intact you may be able to achieve a decent joint with a McAlpine DC-1 coupling, (similar to a W.C. pan connector, accepts 110mm plastic pipe instead of W.C. outlet spigot), but you need to avoid any 'lip' where waste can catch at all costs otherwise you'll be asking for trouble....

We've managed to cause some damage to clay sewer pipes connecting our drains to private drain running across our street. The main private sewer line seems fine but our bit joining onto it has collapsed at the oblique junction (encased in concrete).

Doesn't your buildings insurance cover this? It might do if you have accidental damage cover.

Incidentally, did you know that from 1st October 2011 the ownership of all private sewers, and therefore the responsibility to maintain them, transfers to your local sewerage company? You are still responsible for the bit from your house to the private sewer.

The only proper way would be to replace the clay pipe with clay pipe.

do you want to buy one - old stock genuine 4inch salt glazed never used :mrgreen: tho` you might find a modern one is near enough - jetcem for inside join and encase in Postcrete. :idea: . That`ll get you a stub to work on with the band connectors

I did know about transfer of ownership, it would be interesting what it means for someone making a mess just before transfer of ownership.

Anyway, job is done now. What I've done is spend whole morning with sds chisel shaving away concrete from the pipe until I have enough to grip the flexible colar on. Job done without bodging it :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back