Land Drainage

2) Redpis, I had planned to use geo membrane, as was quoted by a contractor too, but from what Thermo says worries me. Has your experience led you to think you wouldn't use the membrane if you did it again?

Cheers guys
Matt
[/i][/quote]

Hi Matt

I must admit to being a little worried by what Thermo said, the land drains have been in place for 4 years now and seem to be working ok, I wish I'd asked for expert advice before I used Geo membrane, but you live and learn.

I have used shed loads of gravel to surround and bed the pipe on and in, so hopefully that should act as a course filter, but If the performance is affected by the membrane silting up my only real course of action will be to fork down through the surface and puncture the membrane and pipe :(

Fingers crossed though all is well

Due to the delay in me reading and replying, your project must be complete now, how did it go?
Ian

Sponsored Links
I have previously managed to dig several post holes, without problem, for my small London garden.

It rained very heavily over the weekend, and the half-dug holes (2ft -2.5ft) i have just dug are now filling with water. Don't quite understand why. Can anyone explain? I am hoping the water will go away when we have some drier weather.

With hindsight maybe i should have covered the holes but not sure if this would have helped.

Thanks

its the water table, ie the water level in teh ground.it will rise with rainfall, and fall with drier weather

thanks Thermo, appreciate that. ( wow, gives some idea of conditions of wooden posts underground!)

Will wait for the water to empty before concreting in fence post.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Redpis when you did your back garden did you connect the drains to surface water drain or did you did a soak away and drain into that?

Cheers
Ant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back