Landing lighting help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Im havin two downlights in a landing area installed where pictures will be hung, a ceiling chandelier and led marker lights in the stairs. I want a switch to operate the downlights and chandelier preferably on a dimmer. I also want the switch to operate the downstairs light in the hall area. What would I need; a three way dimmer switch? I presume the led stair lights would work off some kind of PIR sensor.

One company have recommended wireless for this part of the house, but not essential as Im not using any remote controls here.

Sponsored Links
Ok Im havin two downlights in a landing area installed where pictures will be hung, a ceiling chandelier and led marker lights in the stairs. I want a switch to operate the downlights and chandelier preferably on a dimmer. I also want the switch to operate the downstairs light in the hall area. What would I need; a three way dimmer switch? I presume the led stair lights would work off some kind of PIR sensor.

One company have recommended wireless for this part of the house, but not essential as Im not using any remote controls here.

If you're wanting non-PIR control for the remainder of the lights you'd need a multigang (possibly grid) arrangement switch plate switching system to control the local lighting circuit regarding the luminaires to which you refer. Are you planning low voltage or extra low voltage accessories?

OK - they're easier to dim than ELV ones.

Ok Im havin two downlights in a landing area installed where pictures will be hung, a ceiling chandelier and led marker lights in the stairs. I want a switch to operate the downlights and chandelier preferably on a dimmer. I also want the switch to operate the downstairs light in the hall area. What would I need; a three way dimmer switch?
I can't work out what's wrong with telling the people installing the lighting exactly what types of controls you want, and where, and having them use their expertise to use the correct switches etc.

I presume the led stair lights would work off some kind of PIR sensor.
Do you want that? If you do, then tell the installers. If you don't, then tell the installers. If you don't know, then ask the installers to explain the advantages and disadvantages.

Do you want wireless? If you do, then tell the installers. If you don't, then tell the installers. If you don't know, then ask the installers to explain the advantages and disadvantages.

Sponsored Links
Yes I will ask him. Problem with my sparki is that even to look over a list of items taha I was aiming to have he charges.
I got delayed at work when he came to meet to be paid an instalment and he's charging for having to wait around. (He lives 10minutes away from me). I called him back while he wa there and arranged to meet him a couple of hrs later and he agreed and I paid him, but now wants to charge me for waiting around the first time. Is he taking the p***? Or is this reasonable?

ps I was having wireless in the bedrooms, mostly so I can control bedside lamps via remote control. In the landing/hall areas its not essential.

Yes I will ask him. Problem with my sparki is that even to look over a list of items taha I was aiming to have he charges.
I got delayed at work when he came to meet to be paid an instalment and he's charging for having to wait around. (He lives 10minutes away from me). I called him back while he wa there and arranged to meet him a couple of hrs later and he agreed and I paid him, but now wants to charge me for waiting around the first time. Is he taking the p***? Or is this reasonable?

He allocated time for you, he could have used that time to do another job and earn money, it doesn't seem unreasonable. It's a bit like you going into work and they say 'we havent got anything or you to do, we aint paying you'. It doesn't matter if h lives ten mins away, next door or in Zimbabwe, it was time allocated to you.

As for the switching arrangments, as loverocket has suggested, you should think through what is going to suit you and the functionality of the installation within the house and then discuss with the sparky, it can be difficult when people odnt know what they want and get even more confusing when they cant choose either, what ever you do, make sure that the end result will be right for you and you wont be kicking yourself later on wishing you had done something different. Good luck with the project, it sounds interesting, more so that a run of the mill domestic install/rewire. :)

I see your point, it was at the w/end when he was off, but I see where your coming from though.

Thanks, I'll take your advice and get into contact with him. Yep it started off run of the mill and I then decided to throw some extra bits in whilst the house is being refurb'd.

.. and I then decided to throw some extra bits in whilst the house is being refurb'd.

Thats probably why he's got the hump :D

Weekend or not, hes still there for work purposes, so really he's at work isn't he?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back