Lap marks from Roller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a terrible experience from a really bad plasterer/decorator. He did a horrific job then did a runner after I paid him (yes i know i shouldn't have paid) anyway i have spent months now trying to fix the bad work and in that time became super aware of bad plastering and bumps and splurges left from bad paint spreading, because I am so aware of it from the horrific job he left, I get these big bright 500w halogen lights and aim they at an angle on the wall so I can see every imperfection, this worked great with fixing the walls when fillering, but now that i am painting my walls I am getting terrible lap marks, I know that its got something to do with the heat from my halogen along with probably over rollering (to avoid any paint bombs), but the reason I am facing such a dilemma is, that I have no idea how else to paint unless i seriously spreading out and have lots of light to see every bump. The cowboy work the last guy did has given me serious bumpy wall OCD so I am over doing it as i don't know how else to avoid paint lumps from poor spreading

My rollers are hamilton vantage and paint is dulux, so the problem here is definitely my technique but where I am so super causcious not to leave paint bumps on my work, I am dry rollering, i am making getting terrible lap marks.

If the suggesting is to ditch the halogens, then how can I see super clearly? if the suggestion is to leave a wet edge, how can I be sure the edge doesn't dry slightly and leave a raised bump when i do over it with more paint? how much time do I have with a wet edge? I feel is i don't spread super quick the edge will set and leave a bump,I have seen videos suggesting to go up and down in long strokes with an extension poll, but how can I be sure to get a good spread when I have less control?
if I do the w and m technique, how can i be sure that one side doesn't get dry as id have to work my way down the wall first?
If i get my technique right, will one coat of paint fix these mark? please check my pics, many thanks
Link to my pics
//www.diynot.com/network/rosieshillam1/albums/24475

Sponsored Links
You may be over-thinking it as Henry Cooper used to say about Brute aftershave"splash it all over" ;)

The first coat may well have soaked in a lot anyway.
Well load the roller and work fast do not dry out the roller at every loading.

Apply criss-cross and if you feel you want to lay off just a light stroke down to finish.

Matt is more forgiving than silk. Dulux is a good brand but the trade version has much better coverage than the one sold in DIY stores..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back