Laptop: Dell vs Acer?

I've got a acer 7400, 17" widescreen with Vista - does the job perfectly.

I got mine through Laptops Direct, seem to have some good prices and for those that like special additions, they even sell the Acer Ferrari laptop.

Sponsored Links
Forget Acer and Dell, I'd go for a Sony - very stylish - good value. Generally has an Intel processer and a separate graphics card.

Got a dell inspiron, quick and simple. Only issues I have had so far is driver conflict with logitech webcam and soundcard.
Once every couple of hundred hours I get a forced restart due to ram error.
Good screen, though I would pay for a video card upgrade.
Excellent battery lifetime
If you are not in a hurry, check their website once a week as they do very nice specials on a regular basis. Combine this with build to spec options and you get the best value for money.
get at least 1 gig, or wait for offer on 2 gig. never have enough memory and laptop ram is still expensive

Of the two brands
Acer everytime.
Dell never quite cut it. The Acer works a treat. Still use my old one at times in preference to all singing and dancing Asus

Sponsored Links
I know you have not mentioned this, but I would go with an Apple macbook. With the education discount you get them for not that bad a price and they are pretty faultless (can't say that about windows though). Apple laptops have been considered the best to run windows on and the plus side is you can run Mac OS 10.5 if you want, 2 computers in 1.

Dealing with Apple, I have had 2 macs fixed outside of their warranty, one was 4 years outside its warranty and it would have cost over £500 to fix it (ibook).

crapday said:
laptop ram is the same ram used in most desktops now.
Do you have many examples of laptops that don't use SODIMM packaged RAM?

pointless cryptic comment
It's cryptic only if you don't understand the words, and it's pointless only if you don't understand the point.

crapday is wrong, and the point of saying so is to prevent other readers being misled into trying to fit laptop RAM into a desktop machine, and vice versa.

pointless cryptic comment
It's cryptic only if you don't understand the words, and it's pointless only if you don't understand the point.

crapday is wrong, and the point of saying so is to prevent other readers being misled into trying to fit laptop RAM into a desktop machine, and vice versa.

Well Apple use the same ram in their desktops and laptops. I thought that was the norm now to keep prices down, I was wrong and apologies.

It must just be Apple that try to keep the prices down in the ram department.

macbook

imac

Both use the same memory. So I am not wrong in the whole.

And an Acer that uses the same type of RAM.

crapday said:
Well Apple use the same ram in their desktops and laptops. I thought that was the norm now to keep prices down, I was wrong and apologies.
Mucho respecto for the magnamimous apology.

And an Acer that uses the same type of RAM.
That's a notebook - all notebooks (with very few exceptions) use SODIMMs.

You say "no it isn't" is that to the part that says "Check out crucial for memory prices. Fast and cheap."? ;)
No it isn't

It's referring to your comment re memory in laptops and PCs

Being pretty new here, I don't want to cause offense as that will result in me finding it hard to get good advice. :D

Sponsored Links
Back