Laptop PSU lead botched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My now old faithful laptop I have had to repair a few times over the years. One of my repairs damaged the motherboard socket where a USB + card slot adaptor plugged in, so that has been out of commission for 18 months, until I spotted a used replacement m/board last week, arrived and installed Tuesday, so all working again. I had sort of promised myself a complete new laptop, it has so many issues - until I spotted that m/board :(

The F6 keytop is missing, the battery has begun to swell, the mousepad buttons need an incredible amount of force to get them to click and the palm rest has a crack in it, due to the battery swelling.

12 months ago, I noticed the mains PSU, where the 19v lead entered a right angle plug, to go into the laptop, had begun to split. I put a few turns of tape on it, to try to preserve it for a while longer.

Yesterday, I noticed the laptop showed as not charging - which I traced to a break in the lead, where I had previously repaired it. Examining it, I realised the lead was a coax lead, with the outer screen snapped completely and intended to be the -ve pole.

As a botch, I stripped back the outer PVC for a few mm at either side of the break and cut a strip of oven foil about 4mm wide. That I wrapped round and round the outer screen at both ends of the break and across the break, then with plenty of thickness on it, I crimped it tightly. It would have been good to be able to slip some heat-shrink over the top of that, but at one end was the plug and at the other the PSU. Instead and lacking any better idea, I dribbled some Araldite along the entire length of the repair and a bit beyond. My botch works fine :)

Sponsored Links
I am no expert Harry..but that would alarm me !!!!Either explosive or fire hazard..Would not fancy an eyeful of molten lithium...or anything.

I am, or at least I repair computers and durhamplumber is right. Those batteries can and do explode. They make an awful mess of things around them and can even catch fire.

Sponsored Links
I am, or at least I repair computers and durhamplumber is right. Those batteries can and do explode. They make an awful mess of things around them and can even catch fire.

Fitting a new battery is the next item on my list.

It will be like Trigger's broom, by the time I have done ;)

Back