Larder unit help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We picked up a larder unit from wickes and built it as if for a double oven so that we could fit our single oven and microwave. Our plug socket for both (both appliances have plug supplied) is now directly behind the oven. The ladder unit as built has reinforcement under the shelf for the oven. We then used a spare shelf above the oven to place the microwave on. There is of course no back board behind the oven or microwave. My main concern is how to ensure the correct ventilation for both. Can we install a grate in the plinth for airflow?

Also should we reinforce the shelf for the microwave as well? The larder unit came with extra pieces (G and H) as shown in the picture I provided

Any help much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20201107_153518.jpg
    20201107_153518.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20201107_152142.jpg
    20201107_152142.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 20201107_152103.jpg
    20201107_152103.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 20201107_152027.jpg
    20201107_152027.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20201107_151236.jpg
    20201107_151236.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
I don't know about yours, but built-in ovens usually have a cooling fan than blows air round, and out (probably the top front edge) until it is cool.

If your microwave is not intended for building-in, it may not have this. you can probably get by by spacing the shelf above to allow easy airflow, and having a gap at the front so that air can circulate through and out theough the open back, where it will naturally rise towards the ceiling. The instructions probably say how much clear space it needs above.

It might be possible to fit your own fan to the cabinet, but that might not be simple, as I think it ought to have a thermostat.

LAN cabinets usually have fans at top and/or bottom to supplement natural airflow.

If your microwave is not intended for building-in, it may not have this. you can probably get by by spacing the shelf above to allow easy airflow, and having a gap at the front so that air can circulate through and out theough the open back, where it will naturally rise towards the ceiling. The instructions probably say how much clear space it needs above.

It might be possible to fit your own fan to the cabinet, but that might not be simple, as I think it ought to have a thermostat.

LAN cabinets usually have fans at top and/or bottom to supplement natural airflow.

Thanks for the response.

It's a built in microwave. Where would the gap at the front be? I plan on putting a filler piece in to cover the front of the gap

I'd make the filler a fairly free fit so there is plenty of room for air to enter or escape.

I have something similar and I think the gap above the microwave is about two inches, and the filler piece is spaced away from the appliance so you could poke a finger in. The back of the cabinet is open.

Sponsored Links
20190812_092311 - Copy.jpg
if the unit is anything like my ovenhousing unit there is a void at the back that will provide enough ventilation. if the unit is connected to others the gap underneath the oven housing and the others will allow enough fresh air in. our m/w is not a built in but rather than fit the supplied filler I fitted a spare shelf above for trays

Last edited:
I don't know about yours, but built-in ovens usually have a cooling fan than blows air round, and out (probably the top front edge) until it is cool.

We have a stand-alone microwave we don't use anymore, but is standing on a shelf in the utility room. The next shelf up is maybe a foot away. But when we tried to use it for anything but basic microwaving, the shelf above started smelling of burning, and we stopped using it. So one really needs to take care with microwaves not intended to be built in.
EDIT: Sorry noticed now that it IS a build-in.

I'd make the filler a fairly free fit so there is plenty of room for air to enter or escape.

I have something similar and I think the gap above the microwave is about two inches, and the filler piece is spaced away from the appliance so you could poke a finger in. The back of the cabinet is open.

Could you share a picture possibly? Our oven is at the bottom and the built in microwave is at the bottom with the gap in between

if the unit is anything like my ovenhousing unit there is a void at the back that will provide enough ventilation. if the unit is connected to others the gap underneath the oven housing and the others will allow enough fresh air in.

Do you mean a fan in the plinth? Also, did you reinforce the shelf for the microwave at all?

Thanks for advice so far

My microwave shelf is a standard one.

Oven housings (IME) have a very thick shelf and extra-strong shelf supports for the main oven.

if I was going to add a fan, I think I would put it to blow cool air into the enclosure near the bottom so it displaced hot air out of the top gap (reinforcing the natural convection flow).

I don't think you need to open the plinth because there is free air under and behind the cabinet. It might go in the bottom or back, or maybe a side if you have access.

As it would be cool air, you can get small, near-flat fans similar to those in computer cases, but mains voltage, in 125mm and other diameters, which can screw to the cabinet casing. I would be inclined to tinker up a hobby thermostat and run it off a fused supply, or in parallel to a nearby lamp or extractor fan.

But as you say yours is a built-in type, I expect it already has a cooling fan. You ought to turn it on and feel round to see where hot air comes out.

Sorry, I meant putting just a vent in the plinth to aid natural airflow as the microwave and oven itself will have a fan of its own. I am trying to create the flow as shown in the oven instructions, but the section below has a back board.

@JohnD how could I make the filler piece for the gap between microwave and oven free fit? Sorry, not sure I understand. Also, if air is moving freely through here then does this fix the airflow problem I talk about above for both the oven and the microwave?

Attachments

• 16047785758625416845528833221645.jpg
    16047785758625416845528833221645.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 176
I think there will be enough space behind the unit for air to rise up, and enter where the back is open, then rise up by convection and hopefully emerge through the gap at the front. The fans may aid this. You might be able to set the filler strip forward of the microwave.

My main concern is how to ensure the correct ventilation for both.
By installing them in the locations provided, which as you have already mentioned, do not have a back to the cabinet.
You do not need to install grates, fans or anything else.
The pieces G&H are used as spacers to correctly position the oven vertically within the housing - but only if they are required, which they usually are not.
If your oven fits without them, they are not needed.
Any standard shelf is more than capable of supporting a microwave. Additional supports are not required.

You are trying to solve problems that doesn't exist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back