Large crack is loft chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

As title describes I have large cracks running through our loft chimney breast. This chimney has been used by the previous owner every winter. I’m guessing the expansion / contraction of the fire has caused this to happen as there are no cracks on the other breast which is not used.

What is concerning on closer inspection is that there seems to be a hole where soot has been escaping through the render of the chimney breast. I have attached images for reference.

Do you think I could get away with removing old render, replace any missing mortar on the brickwork and slap up some new render to sort the problem?

Cheers
Mark

E9D7B19A-BA3A-4D29-B0CB-50ABB392BB65.jpeg
0F3FDE8B-A179-4F7D-94F2-9F5D6DF65CA5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If you think it's possible that is leaking and you intend to use the fire you need to get it professionally checked, and possibly have a liner fitted

take the old render off inspect the bricks patch with strong mortar holes if any even repoint deep holes and new render on top job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back